The primary aim of my research is to understand the genetic basis of complex neurological disorders, with a special emphasis on stroke, dementia and cerebral small vessel disease. I am a statistical geneticist and use approaches starting from candidate genes, genome wide association studies to whole exome sequencing to identify rare and common genetic variants in genes responsible for complex genetic disorders. I have been performing large scale genome wide association studies and trans-ethnic meta-analysis of genome wide association studies as part of collaboration with CHARGE consortium and other large consortia in Prof. Debette’s lab since 2012. I have performed whole genome imputation using the 1000G reference panel and I am currently analyzing whole exome sequencing data for the French population based cohort of 3C-Dijon.
1. Chauhan G, et al. Identification of additional risk loci for stroke and small vessel disease: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. The Lancet Neurology. 2016 (in press)
2. Chauhan G, Adams HH, Bis JC, Weinstein G, Yu L, Toglhofer AM, Smith AV, van der Lee SJ, Gottesman RF, Thomson R, Wang J, Yang Q, Niessen WJ, Lopez OL, Becker JT, Phan TG, Beare RJ, Arfanakis K, Fleischman D, Vernooij MW, Mazoyer B, Schmidt H, Srikanth V, Knopman DS, Jack CR, Jr., Amouyel P, Hofman A, DeCarli C, Tzourio C, van Duijn CM, Bennett DA, Schmidt R, Longstreth WT, Jr., Mosley TH, Fornage M, Launer LJ, Seshadri S, Ikram MA, Debette S. Association of alzheimer’s disease gwas loci with mri markers of brain aging. Neurobiology of aging. 2015;36:1765 e1767-1716
3. Malik R, Traylor M, Pulit SL, Bevan S, Hopewell JC, Holliday EG, Zhao W, Abrantes P, Amouyel P, Attia JR, Battey TW, Berger K, Boncoraglio GB, Chauhan G, Cheng YC, Chen WM, Clarke R, Cotlarciuc I, Debette S, et al. Low-frequency and common genetic variation in ischemic stroke: The metastroke collaboration. Neurology. 2016
4. Debette S, Kamatani Y, Metso TM, Kloss M, Chauhan G, Engelter ST, Pezzini A, Thijs V, Markus HS, Dichgans M, Wolf C, et al. Common variation in phactr1 is associated with susceptibility to cervical artery dissection. Nat Genet. 2015;47:78-83
5. Debette S, Ibrahim Verbaas CA, Bressler J, Schuur M, Smith A, Bis JC, Davies G, Wolf C, Gudnason V, Chibnik LB, Yang Q, deStefano AL, de Quervain DJ, Srikanth V, Lahti J, Grabe HJ, Smith JA, Priebe L, Yu L, Karbalai N, Hayward C, Wilson JF, Campbell H, Petrovic K, Fornage M, Chauhan G, Yeo R, Boxall R, Becker J, et al. Genome-wide studies of verbal declarative memory in nondemented older people: The cohorts for heart and aging research in genomic epidemiology consortium. Biol Psychiatry. 2014