Stéphanie Debette is Professor of epidemiology at Bordeaux University and INSERM Center U1219, where she directs the VINTAGE team.
She is also practicing neurologist at Bordeaux University Hospital and adjunct associate professor in the department of neurology at Boston University School of Medicine, USA. S Debette holds a master degree in statistical genetics and a PhD in Epidemiology (2008).
She co-authored 100+ papers (including first or last author papers in Nat Genet, Lancet Neurol, BMJ, Ann Neurol, Circulation, Neurology). She obtained a Fulbright fellowship, a Chair of Excellence from the French National Research Agency (ANR), a Chair of Excellence from Bordeaux University, and is member of a Leducq Transatlantic Network of Excellence on cerebral small vessel disease. Recently she obtained and ERC starting grant to study genetic determinants of early structural brain alterations in young students, and she coordinates a European JPND grant on “next generation” genomic approaches to detect risk and protective factors for brain imaging markers of cognitive decline and dementia.
S Debette is a longstanding collaborator of the CHARGE consortium, where she co-leads projects on the genomics of stroke, MRI-markers of vascular brain injury and memory. She is currently vice-chair of the International Stroke Genetics Consortium (ISGC), of which she hosted a workshop in 2014. She initiated and coordinates the international CADISP consortium on genetic and environmental risk factors of cervical artery dissections and young stroke (>15 publications).
S Debette coordinates the Bordeaux Hospital-University Federation SMART on small artery disease in brain, heart and retina.
She recently launched the neurepiomics summer school, an international course on “neuroepidemiology in the omics era” and co-edited a book on the risk factors of stroke and cerebrovascular disease. S Debette is a member of the editorial boards of Stroke and the European Journal of Stroke, the scientific committee of the French Foundation for Stroke Research, and founder of the Music for the Brain philanthropic initiative.
(From 109 papers; H-index google scholar: 32; 5368 citations)
- FOXF2, a novel risk locus for stroke and small artery disease: a genome-wide association study. Chauhan G, Arnold CR, […], Tzourio C, Rexrode KM, Lehmann OJ, Launer LJ, Ikram MA, Carlsson P, Chasman DI, Childs SJ, Longstreth, Jr. WT, Seshadri S, and Debette S, for the CHARGE consortium, the SiGN group and the International Stroke Genetics Consortium. Lancet Neurol, in press
- New insight into the pathogenesis of cervical artery dissection: A genome-wide association study. Debette S, Kamatani Y, Metso T, Kloss M, Engelter ST, Pezzini A, Thijs V, Markus HS, Dichgans M, Chauhan G, Wolf C, Dittrich R, Touzé E, Southerland AM, […], Worrall BB, for the International Stroke Genetics Consortium, Ringelstein EB, Zelenika D, Tatlisumak T, Lathrop M, Leys D*, Amouyel P*, and Dallongeville J* for the CADISP group. Nat Genet. 2015 Jan;47(1):78-83.
- Epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of intracranial artery dissection. Debette S, Compter A, […] Arnold M, Bousser MG. Lancet Neurol 2015;14:640-6
- Multiethnic Genome-Wide Association Study of Cerebral White Matter Hyperintensities on MRI. Verhaaren BF, Debette S, Bis JC, Smith JA, Ikram MK, Adams HH, Beecham AH, Rajan KB, […], van Duijn CM, Schmidt R, Launer LJ, Grabe HJ, Seshadri SS, Ikram MA, Fornage M. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2015;8:398-409
- Genome-wide Studies of Verbal Declarative Memory in Nondemented Older People: The Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology Consortium. Debette S, Ibrahim Verbaas CA, Bressler J,[…], Seshadri S, Mosley TH Jr; Biol Psy. 2015;77:749-63