Judith Thomas Crusells holds a PhD in neuroscience from the University of Helsinki (Finland) and a Diploma in business, marketing and public relations from the Open University of Catalonia (Spain). Her scientific career in the fields of neuronal growth factors and neuronal survival after damage was accomplished at highly renowned international institutions such as the Institute of Biotechnology (Helsinki, Finland), the University Hospital of Saarland (Homburg, Germany), the University Hospital of Zürich and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich (ETH, Zürich, Switzerland).
Judith has also been engaged as technical consultant at the World Health Organization (WHO, Geneva, Switzerland) in the departments of Public and Environmental Health, Vaccines, and Mental Health, where she has been accountable for the coordination of projects and international initiatives, organization of international conferences, and the development of technical documents on global assessment of the burden of diseases.
Since January 2016, Judith is the international project manager of Pr. Stephanie Debette’s group.
- Report of the ad-hoc consultation on aging and immunization for a future WHO research agenda on life-course immunization. Thomas-Crusells J, McElhaney JE, Aguado MT. Vaccine. 2012 Sep 14;30(42):6007-12. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.07.025. Epub 2012 Jul 24.PMID:22835737
- Posttraumatic GABA(A)-mediated [Ca2+]i increase is essential for the induction of brain-derived neurotrophic factor-dependent survival of mature central neurons. Shulga A*, Thomas-Crusells J*, Sigl T, Blaesse A, Mestres P, Meyer M, Yan Q, Kaila K, Saarma M, Rivera C, Giehl KM. J Neurosci. 2008 Jul 2; 28(27):6996-7005. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5268-07.2008. PMID: 18596173
- Mechanism of activity-dependent downregulation of the neuron-specific K-Cl cotransporter KCC2. Rivera C, Voipio J, Thomas-Crusells J, Li H, Emri Z, Sipilä S, Payne JA, Minichiello L, Saarma M, Kaila K. J Neurosci. 2004 May 12;24(19):4683-91. PMID: 15140939
- A novel method for monitoring surface membrane trafficking on hippocampal acute slice preparation. Thomas-Crusells J, Vieira A, Saarma M, Rivera C. J Neurosci Methods. 2003 May 30; 125(1-2):159-66. PMID: 12763242
- BDNF-induced TrkB activation down-regulates the K+-Cl- cotransporter KCC2 and impairs neuronal Cl- extrusion. Rivera C, Li H, Thomas-Crusells J, Lahtinen H, Viitanen T, Nanobashvili A, Kokaia Z, Airaksinen MS, Voipio J, Kaila K, Saarma M. J Cell Biol. 2002 Dec 9;159(5):747-52. Epub 2002 Dec 9. PMID:12473684